Thursday, December 13, 2012

DAY ONE

Well I suppose the thing to do is just begin and find where this leads me.  
Since I realized last year that I was indeed retired I have been waiting to see what it is that I'm interested in doing to pass the time.  I play golf when I can and very much enjoy it still after 50 some years at it.  I play my instruments and paint a bit but these endeavors do not fill my days.  
Charlotte works long hours and since I have more free time I naturally used it to do more cooking.  I've always had an interest in cooking and now this interest is growing.  Each dish that I make leads me to something more to learn.  It's not the can of worms that's been opened...snails I love but not worms.  It's the vast history of mankind's quest to create and enjoy one of our most basic needs...nourishment.  In our modern world we can literally buy any ingredient from every continent and culture to make the food we eat.  This is what I propose to do.  I would like to travel the world in my kitchen.  One day I will be here in America making a steak and baked potato and next day be in Goa, India preparing goat vindaloo and stuffed nan.  
Last night I made marinated center cut boneless pork chops on the grill, apple sauce from scratch and slaw made with Napa cabbage, red onion, julienned carrots and pear and a little Italian parsley.
The dressing for the slaw was made with a combo of sugar, curry, vinegar and sour cream. 
I marinated the pork for 6 hours in bourbon, water, brown sugar, peppercorns, onion, cloves, cinnamon, bay leaf and oil.  It was still tough.  The apple sauce was lovely and the slaw was one that I shall make again...very tasty and I have ideas to improve it next time.
There, I've begun...I'll try my best to keep writing about what I find out in the kitchen.  I know I'll keep cooking, eating and drinking wine, I hope I can make it interesting to read about.
Cheers,
Chris
 
 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment