Thursday, January 24, 2013

BAKED KALE CHIPS WITH RED PEPPER AND SEA SALT

This morning while perusing Food and Wine magazine, I came across a post by a comedian named Lizz Winstead.  She was talking about when she quit smoking she needed to find something to replace her former habit.  She said that she needed something she could pop into her mouth while she was writing or watching TV and she didn't want to gain weight and look like she simply went from smoking tobacco to smoking a ham.
Her discovery was oven toasted kale chips.  I decided to try them.
First I washed the kale and dried it thoroughly.  Next I ripped the spine off the leaves and discarded them.  Tearing the green leaves into roughly 2 inch pieces, I threw the kale into a large bowl.  Wearing latex gloves, I poured about two tablespoons of olive oil onto the leaves and carefully smeared the oil onto all the pieces.  I then sprinkled about a teaspoon of ground red pepper flakes and a pinch of sea salt and tossed.
Using two baking pans so that I had separation for each leaf I placed the future chips into a 275 degree oven.  15 minutes later I flipped the chips and put them back in for about 10 more minutes.
They came out as lovely crispy slightly smaller bits of kale.  I frankly was unsure as to whether they would be tasty or not...but to my surprise, they are.  So there you have it...a snack without the guilt.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment